Back to The Sandpit

How time flies! I was just with my family a week ago and then all of a sudden, I’m back to work – full swing! My first 2 nightshifts were ICU nights. It’s okay because it’s like getting a refresher after 7 weeks of staying away from the hospital. The funny thing about is that it felt like riding a bike, you know. All the stock knowledge like awakened and everything I encountered on those days made sense every time.

I have been an ER nurse for the past 14 years of my career. I had short rotations to the ward and recovery room – but my heart belongs to ER. Some nurses don’t understand me. They always ask me why I love this unit. Simple – I love the adrenaline rush. I love the way we solve puzzles on patient’s condition and see immediate results. I love the physical challenge that comes with it.

I tried working in clinics before because I was thinking it will be less stressful for me and I will earn the same amount of money. But all along, I felt like a horse in a locked stable – unable to run.

So now, I'm working still as an ER nurse. It's not all good. There are good days, there are bad days but when you love what you are doing, it won't matter. What matters is seeing a patient get better, discovering the patient has pulse after 30 minutes of resuscitation and seeing the patient go out of the front door.

Comments

Popular Posts